Robin Butler on Twitter



4044 A Patent Lever 2-Part Corkscrew


Click on the images to see more detail

The 2-part lever corkscrew was first invented in the early 1850s, and a rash of similar 'inventions' to improve the model succeeded it - most notably that of William Lund.  Many carry the stamped steel pivot with 'Lund's Patent Lever' on them.  This one simply has THE PATENT LEVER, centered by a circle enclosing the lombardic letter 'H'.

The business end of the corkscrew has a plain wire helix, with a 4-finger pull handle, which can engage with the lever.  Both parts have a substantial amount of the original copper wash surface, and are in good condition.

Date: c.1870

Dimensions: 8.2", 20.8 cm. long

Sold (we would welcome news of similar items for sale)

Return to Archive of Sold Items item list