Robin Butler on Twitter



6011 A Very Fine Pair of Prussian Decanters


Click on the images to see more detail


This is an exceptional pair of decanters, which some may attribute to Perrin, Geddes & Co. of Warrington, the suppliers of glass to The Prince Regent.

The famous royal service was given by the Liverpool Corporation on the occasion of the Prince's visit in 1806. The quality of the service suggests a London supplier or manufacturer, but clearly Warrington had the designers and cutters who were competent to produce such a complex order.

This pair of decanters have similar elements of cutting - prisms, step-cutting and curious inverted pear-shapes enclosing multiple cutting styles. The bases are all-over star-cut with ground and polished pontils, while the neck rings are prismatically cut between panel cut sections. The stoppers are 'strawberry'-cut.

The decanters amply hold a full bottle each and they are very fit for purpose. The cutting refracts light when wine is inside allowing a good judgement of the colour to be made. There are very minor nibbles to the bodies of the decanters, one small chip to a rim and the base of each stopper has chipping - all of which can be restored if required.

Further images are to be seen on our Online Galleries page.

Date: c.1810

Dimensions: 10", 24.5 cm high incl. stoppers

Sold (we would welcome news of similar items for sale)

Return to Georgian Decanters 1680 -1830 item list