This type of corkscrew, known as a 'roundlet', was patented by William Lund and William Hipkins on 2nd April 1855. It is particularly practical as a travelling corkscrew as it can be pocketed without any chance of sharp elements making holes in the pocket! The roundlet was in production by many makers for over a century, such was its appeal.
This is an extemely fine example, being in almost mint condition (although there is one very small 'dink' at one end). The gilding is all intact, and the silver hallmarks for London 1913 are very clear, despite the maker's mark not being so. In very tiny lettering around the junction of the two halves is engraved " JC VICKERY 177 TO 183 REGENT STREET W. The helix retains all its gilding (on steel presumably). The corkscrew is prominently engraved with the monogram MR (or RM)beneath a baron's coronet.
John Collard Vickery had a retail business in fashionable Regent Street, London where he counted among his customers many crowned heads of Europe. He sold writing and dressing cases of high quality, tavel accessories and clocks as well as jewellery and silver. An interesting website can be seen showing many of his firm's advertisements. He was most fastidious and there is an amusing anecdote about his finding a leaf on his drive at home - for two days!
Dimensions: 3.5", 9 cm long
From the collection of Hugh Johnson Esq.
Please fill in the information below