This decanter is an early example of the 'Prussian' shape - almost a broad 'Indian club' form, and it has a bevelled pear-shape stopper. The body is decorated in gilt with a faux wine label of rectangular outline suspended by a chain. The stopper, which is not original to the decanter, but contemporary with it, is decorated with a gilt 'B'.
Most blue or green decanters of the late 18th century were labeled in gilt for Rum, Brandy or Hollands (Gin), and are of pint, or half-bottle size. This decanter will hold a full bottle, which is less often seen as most blue spirit decanters only hold a half-bottle.
Date: c.1790 - 1800
Please fill in the information below